Morgan Lewis is a leading Philadelphia law firm with 30 offices in North America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. The firm provides comprehensive litigation, corporate, finance, restructuring, employment and benefits, and intellectual property services in all major industries. Morgan Lewis employs more than 2,200 legal professionals, including lawyers, patent agents, employee benefits advisers, regulatory scientists and other specialists, serving a diverse roster of clients ranging from established, global Fortune 100 companies to enterprising startups.
Morgan Lewis gives back to its communities and society at large through its extensive pro bono legal practice. Each year, the firm serves more than 1,500 pro bono clients, including hundreds of nonprofit and nongovernmental organizations around the world, impacting the lives of thousands of individuals who otherwise would not have had access to legal representation.
Every lawyer in the firm is expected to contribute at least 20 hours to pro bono representation every year, but they typically go far beyond that minimum. In fiscal year 2018, the firm contributed 117,000 hours to pro bono representations, which is an average of more than 67 hours per lawyer.
The firm’s pro bono services touch upon many different areas of law, including:
- Public benefits
- Morgan Lewis’ public benefits work covers five core areas: veterans’ benefits, access to housing, access to health care, Social Security disability and access to education. Its work in these areas includes counseling low‐income clients on critical poverty law issues, and involves all of the firm’s U.S. branches.
- The firm serves individuals fleeing persecution overseas, undocumented and unaccompanied minors who came to the United States when they were young, immigrant women whose immigration status is dependent on an abusive spouse and victims of human trafficking and other crimes. The firm helps these clients obtain legal immigration status and enjoy the opportunities the United States offers.
- Civil liberties
- The firm’s work on civil liberties matters includes appellate‐level First Amendment work, a significant prisoners’ rights practice, a growing international human rights practice, marriage equality impact litigation and a nationally recognized death penalty practice.
- Families and kids
- The firm has a varied pro bono practice on behalf of families and children. Its lawyers serve as court‐appointed advocates for children who have been abused or neglected. In addition, the firm handles domestic violence and protection‐from‐abuse work in many of its offices.
In addition to its pro bono work, the firm leverages the knowledge, skills and generosity of its lawyers to support a wide variety of community service organizations across the country and in Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Its attorneys support the communities in which they live and work through active volunteerism and service on boards of directors, with major focus areas including:
- Supporting arts and culture
- Morgan Lewis lawyers serve on the boards of directors of museums, theater companies and orchestras in virtually every city in which the firm has operations. Morgan Lewis lawyers also serve as trustees of many educational institutions, from major research universities to small schools for at‐risk children.
- Strengthening judicial systems and promoting economic vitality
- The firm’s lawyers are active in national, state and local bar associations, serving as chairs of dozens of bar committees; and in business law associations such as the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the Institute for Energy Law and the International Trademark Association, among others. In addition, the firm’s lawyers are active in chamber of commerce chapters inside and outside the United States and in many small business incubator programs worldwide.
- Preventing hunger and protecting children
- The firm has a special focus on hunger prevention in its communities. Its staff regularly volunteer at food banks, and the firm holds a variety of food drives and similar fundraising efforts in every Morgan Lewis office worldwide. Its lawyers serve on the boards of hunger‐prevention organizations, and they work with community groups focusing on children, including Big Brothers, Big Sisters affiliates; literacy organizations; and youth sports and educational programs across the globe.
- Supporting philanthropic and mission goals of charities and health organizations
- Morgan Lewis lawyers and staff devote both their time and their financial assistance to numerous charities, as well as tax‐exempt organizations focused on disease awareness, prevention and research, including the United Way and The Honorable Tina Brozman Foundation, among others.
Profile updated: Oct 2018