The Estée Lauder Companies Inc.
HQ: New York, NY
Estée Lauder is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and marketers of quality skin care, makeup, fragrance and hair care products under a number of well-known brand names including: Estée Lauder, Clinique, Origins, M·A·C, Bobbi Brown, La Mer, Jo Malone London, Aveda and Too Faced. We are also the global licensee for fragrances and/or cosmetics sold under various designer brand names. Each brand is distinctly positioned within the market for cosmetics and other beauty products.
Its products are sold through a network of upscale department stores and specialty retailers, as well as online. In 2018, the company reported sales of about $13.6 billion.
Giving: Estee Lauder Citizenship
Inspired by Beauty Driven by Our Values – 2017 report (PDF)
The Estée Lauder Companies Charitable Foundation
Established in fiscal 2016, The Estée Lauder Companies Charitable Foundation (ELC Foundation) builds on our long tradition of giving back to and making a difference in our local communities. The ELC Foundation operates grant portfolios that focus on health, education and the environment.
- The Estée Lauder Breast Cancer Campaign is the company’s largest corporate philanthropic initiative. Senior Estée Lauder executive Evelyn Lauder was instrumental in developing the initiative and its iconic pink ribbon, which has raised more than $76 million to fund global research, education and medical services. Working with the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, the company has helped fund some 250 research grants.
- The M·A·C AIDS Fund is to serve all ages, all races and all sexes affected by HIV and AIDS. The company’s M·A·C brand created VIVA GLAM—a line of lipstick and associated products—to raise awareness and funds for HIV/AIDS. Every cent of the selling price of VIVA GLAM products is donated to the M·A·C AIDS Fund. M·A·C VIVA GLAM products are promoted through campaigns with influential spokespeople who reflect diverse communities. The Fund provides financial support to organizations working with underserved regions and populations.
- Jo Malone London is committed to shining a light on mental health, which affects 1 in 4 adults. Working with several nonprofit partners, Jo Malone London supports specialized programs to help raise awareness and support those living with the daily challenges and isolation that mental health issues often bring. Through Jo Malone London’s work with The Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families, the brand supports an outreach program across 2,500 schools in the UK, raising awareness of mental health, emotional well-being and prevention through early intervention, openly discussing mental health and helping to identify and address children’s needs at an early age.
- Aveda Earth Month occurs every April when the Aveda network—including salons/spas, beauty industry professionals, Aveda Institutes, Aveda Experience Centers, Aveda corporate employees and Aveda guests—celebrates Earth Day throughout the entire month to raise funds to protect people, animals and the environment. Since the campaign began in 1999, the Aveda network has raised more than $56 million for various nonprofit organizations focused on environmental issues, including saving ancient forests, combating climate change and protecting endangered species. 2007 marked the first year Aveda began to focus on protecting clean water. More than $50 million has been raised specifically for global and local water projects.
- La Mer Blue Heart initiative supports the protection of ocean habitats for generations to come. The brand has long partnered with experts and organizations who work to protect ocean habitats. In 2014, it established Blue Heart, a philanthropic global effort to celebrate the ocean and share a deeper understanding of how essential it is to society. The initiative provides funding for nonprofit partners as well as volunteer support from La Mer employees around the world who participate in local community initiatives such as coastal beach clean‐ups and artificial coral planting.
- Origins Plant‐a‐Tree is committed to protecting the planet through tree‐planting efforts around the globe. In 2009, Origins launched its Plant‐a‐Tree program in partnership with American Forests’ Global ReLeaf to aid reforestation projects around the world. Through the Plant‐a‐Tree program and partnerships with local organizations, Origins has planted over 750,000 trees globally to date.
- The Estée Lauder Companies Girls’ Education Initiative was launched in 2016 to help girls worldwide acquire the necessary tools and skills to become healthy and productive adults; to effect lasting change for themselves, their families and their communities; and to break the cycle of poverty. The initiative provides funds and resources to support education programs across 11 global cities and communities. The initiative supports local grassroots organizations that address education from the ground up, in tandem with health, counseling, out‐of‐school tutoring, extracurricular activities, social support, family support, life‐skills training, entrepreneurial skills‐building and mentorship.
The company also encourages its employees to give to charity and support worthy nonprofit organizations through volunteerism. The Estée Lauder Good Works program is a digital platform that makes it easy for employees to sign up for volunteer activities and share their own stories. Through the Good Works platform, employees can also register their philanthropic donations and volunteer hours to be matched by company funds to nonprofits of their choice under a Dollars‐for‐Doers program. In 2017, matching gifts and volunteerism platform delivered a 33% engagement rate, exceeding the industry average.
Profile updated: Oct 2018